"Some birds aren't meant to be caged, their feathers are just too bright"- Morgan Freeman, Shawshank Redemption. This blog is from one such bird who couldn't be caged by organizations who mandate scripted software testing. Pradeep Soundararajan welcomes you to this blog and wishes you a good time here and even otherwise.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Start ! 10 minutes later "A good start"

Hi Reader,

On my first post let me tell something about me and why did I start a blog !

Thanks to my friend Preetam Modur who is currently my team mate in Motorola , for highlighting the importance of a blog and why I should blog.( although i knew the significance of the blog in today's net savvy generation)

He did schooling along with me in Kumarans , Bangalore and after that we were split geographically for getting an engineering degree.I got it from Trichy ( of course not REC )Mookambigai college of engineering with specialization in Electronics and Instrumentation and he from NIE , Mysore.He felt I should start a blog on testing as I am good at testing and can learn and share knowledge from such a community.

He sometimes admires me of having worked with companies like Impulsesoft , McAfee , ISRO and Department of Science and Technology of India and on projects that has made my resume one of the best.I have worked on technologies like Bluetooth and Multimedia. I claim to be good at testing only after having solid proof and examples where I have been self inspired.

Whatever I write about me anywhere , I have never left out a person's name who has changed my whole life downside up .... Sir Thomas Alva Edison.You may would have seen movies like Mask where a person turns 'zero to hero' and something similar in my life happened after watching a movie Edison,The Man. Yes , it did turn my life downside up and it took me 8 years to realize the change The Man had put in me.

If you intend to continue reading my blog in the future I am planning the following things for you -
1) Testing ( please don't misunderstand testing means only software testing )

2) Updates about testing happening worldwide ( To the best of my ability )

3) You wouldn't have to read more than a page.

4) 4 to 5 posts per week at the max and a min of 2-3 posts per week.

5) No junk posts ( junk is relative term , so be aware of it :-D )

6) Product analysis and the bugs i see in it ( I hope this does not put me in any contro with any company )'Folks let me know , whether i can blog the bugs/defects I observe/research about a product'

7) Experiences I had in my testing career.

8) Why , How , When , What does a tester crib about?

If you would like more as and when you frequently visit here please let me know through pradeep.srajan@gmail.com
Thanks and Regards

Pradeep Soundararajan

_____ Defect_1.0_Blogspot_Gmail_Format _____________

Could you get anything more than this at the first post itself -

Defect I noticed after/while creating this post !

Description - Formatting is lost after copy paste of a post from Gmail !

Steps to Reproduce -

1) Create an account in www.blogspot.com
2) Create a new post/fresh post if you already have an account.
3) Key in a few lines/sentences and format them with numbering , indent , font or any other available formatting.
4) Open your Gmail account and initiate a 'compose'.
5) Copy the text that has been formatted in the planned post in www.blogspot.com
6) Paste it in Gmail Compose new mail section.
7) Copy whatever you have pasted in Gmail Compose new mail and paste it in the same place where the post is being edited.

Expected Result -

1) After step 6 , formatting remains along with the text being pasted in Gmail.
2) After step 7 , formatting remains along with the text being pasted at www.blogpot.com

Observed Result -

1) After step 6, formatting remains along with text being pasted in Gmail.
2) After step 7 , formatting is lost after pasting the text in edit of the post section.

Note :

1) The intention of me pasting the post in Gmail was to check for spelling or typo's.
2) This could be a WAD ( works as designed ) but yet it is something affecting the user's experience here.

Risk :

1) Becomes a non-user friendly factor for bloggers here.
2) User needs to spend time re-formatting the entire post.

Proposed Solution :

1) Formatting can be stored or general formatting can be applied from template so that time spend on re-formatting comes down.
2) Fixing the code if its not a WAD.

_________________ End of Defect Report for Defect_0.1 _____________

Disclaimer : This defect report is not to complain against an organization or to impact their business. Every good tester knows and respects that there cannot be any bug/defect free product in this world. I respect a developer equally as i respect a tester.This effort to put in a blog was to point out the scope of improving the user friendliness of a product/application I used. I need not be a tester to point this out but I need to be a good tester to describe and explain where the defect is and how can it be encountered.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

ur blogs r really very great.its even great of u that u share all or many of ur ideas or views to all.keep up the good work!!!they r really inspiring

Anonymous said...

Amazing articulation of ideas...

Anonymous said...

Very gud article..indeed..
Pradeep would you please share more info. abt the sites u visit for improving ur skill..
id: mili173@gmail.com

Regards
Mili

Tester Spot said...

Extraordinary blog :-)

Tahmid Munaz said...

Hey Pradeep,

It's was a good start indeed! Thanks for contributing over internet.

I should start writing my blog again! :)

Keep up your good works.

- Tahmid

Pradeep Soundararajan said...

@Tahmid,

Ha! Indeed, you see poor English, poor thinking when I actually started off that improved over time and help me gain public writing practice.

lopa said...

Congratulations Sir,..its 4 years from the date of your first blog.And everyday,u add richness to it.Thanks a lot.

Saravana Kumar N said...

Hi Pradeep,
Just now I completed my BE-Computer Science and Engineering, and a month back, I entered to corporate world as a Trainee in Testing Dept., in a company located at Chennai. While I'm doing some presentation over here(Its on today-3Sept2010), they said You came to this company and gave a very good presentation and I missed it. So I just goggled about you and found your blog. And i'm going to read everything from here to enrich some knowledge. I Thank you for giving this blog to a follower like me. I just missed you physically, but I caught you here.:)

Arun said...

Hi senior, I'm also from Mookambigai college of Engineering. I started my career as a software test engineer. Ur articles are really useful for me.

Balaji Kothandaraman said...

mm.. I have started with the first post today. and will shift my concentration only after completing the very latest post.

Anuj Sharma said...

Nice post..One thing that I got to learn was from the defect you reported on this post.
While raising a defect, I never write down the risk associated with defect. Only the priority is set and I assumed that the developers would be the judge of the risk and not me but now I realise that it should be document in the defect log itself. Thanks.